Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Motivation

I know I need more of it. I sit around all day and try to put off homework and try to put off working but is it all my fault. I'm not trying to make excuses for putting off papers until right before they are due or putting off some of my blogs until the day they are due, but I am suggesting that motviation needs to be an important part of the school day and curriculum. I feel that the lackluster test scores and falling grades in the American school system is because the students are not motivated to do well in school or if they are motivated it is for the wrong reasons. It seems that students don't find school interesting nowadays, more than ever before, but it's not their fault. Few kids are eager to get to school everyday for at least 12 years. It is the teacher's job to get the kids excited for school and the subjects they are studying. Now the reason for this motivation i'm talking about should be clarified. The purpose of this motivation is to get the kids excited to learn and understand the material, not just so they score well on their tests. Knowledge is so much more than an A or getting into a prestigious school, it is being able to connect what you have learned in class to other classes and the big world around us. If teachers got students to realize that is why they would be learning, the students would be more excited to learn. No kids gets motivated to study for the national tests, but they are more likely to get motivated to study to ensure a happier life in the big world.

No comments:

Post a Comment